This Thursday at 7 p.m. on Facebook live we will hold our 6th bible study on the “7 Last Words of Jesus from the Cross”. Here is the 6th Word and study questions:
The Sixth Lesson of Jesus from the Cross
… he said, “It is finished!” (NLT)
Jesus knew he was suffering the crucifixion for a purpose. Earlier he had said in John 10:18 of his life, “No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.” (NIV)
These three words were packed with meaning, for what was finished here was not only Christ’s earthly life, not only his suffering and dying, not only the payment for sin and the redemption of the world—but the very reason and purpose he came to earth was finished.
His final act of obedience was complete. The Scriptures had been fulfilled.
When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished!”
- What did Jesus come to accomplish?
- What was the ‘cup’ the ‘baptism’ that he faced in order to accomplish his mission?
- What was the significance of the word ‘finished’ written on ancient papyrus receipts?
- Why did Jesus shout out the sixth word rather than say it quietly?
- How is the willingness to suffer vital to fulfilling one’s mission?
What did Jesus finish and what can we learn for our own lives from this sixth word “It is finished?”